Katie's Cookbook

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Spicy Black Beans

Spicy Black Beans

Yield: 2½ cups
Time: 1½ hours (+ bean soaking and cooking)

Ingredients
o 2 c pinto or black beans, soaked/cooked or canned
o 3 T sesame or olive oil
o 1 c onion, diced
o 3 cloves garlic, minced
o 1-2 t cumin
o 1-2 t salt
o 1-2 t black pepper, ground

Directions
Heat the oil over medium heat, add the onion, and sauté until soft, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and continue sautéing for another minute or two.
Stir in the beans, spices, and ½ c of reserved soaking liquid. Mash the beans into the liquid. If they seem too dry, add more liquid. Taste and adjust the spices.
Notes Sesame oil adds a wonderful flavor to refried beans.
Reheat refried beans in a T or two of oil, preferably sesame.
Refried black beans are divine topped with cheddar cheese, sour cream, and red onion.

**I love this recipe. I found it online a year or two ago and I still make it. I never mash the beans, I just leave them whole. Also, I don't know why they are spicy, but they are. It must have something to do with the sesame oil and the salt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home